Search the Low County Plantations' Database

Find by...

plantation name

 
 
Abbeville County
 
Aiken County
 
Allendale County
 
Anderson County
 
Bamberg County
 
Barnwell County
 
Beaufort County
 
Berkeley County
 
Calhoun County
 
Charleston County
 
Cherokee County
 
Chester County
 
Chesterfield County
 
Clarendon County
 
Colleton County
 
Darlington County
 
Dillon County
 
Dorchester County
 
Edgefield County
 
Fairfield County
 
Florence County
 
Georgetown County
 
Greenville County
 
Greenwood County
 
Hampton County
 
Horry County
 
Jasper County
 
Kershaw County
 
Lancaster County
 
Laurens County
 
Lee County
 
Lexington County
 
Marion County
 
Marlboro County
 
McCormick County
 
Newberry County
 
Oconee County
 
Orangeburg County
 
Pickens County
 
Richland County
 
Saluda County
 
Spartanburg County
 
Sumter County
 
Union County
 
Williamsburg County
 
York County


Plantation: Coffin Point of Beaufort County, SC
   
Location St Helena Sound, plantation is located about 10 miles east of Beaufort on US 21, turn left on County Road #77, continue 1.5 miles, house directly ahead at end of .5 mile avenue of oak trees.
St Helena Island, St Helena Parish, Beaufort County, SC
Plantation Details
  Other Names: The Point

  Timeline: 1800 - Earliest known date. 1801? - Two story house built by Ebenezer Coffin. The house sits on high ground overlooking St Helena Sound. 1861 - The Coffins were among the Sea Island plantation families who fled in front of advancing Union troops.

  Number of acres: 2000

  Crops: Primary crop - Sea island cotton

  Number of slaves: 260 (1861)

  Owners: Senator James Donald Cameron, Ebenezer Coffin, Thomas Aston Coffin, Ellis, Green, George C. and Priscilla McMillan, Mr. and Mrs. J. E. McTeer (1951-1968), Edward Philbrick (1863), Pope, Rhodes, Thomas, S.W. Whitnell

Additional Information
 

The slave row on the street at Coffin Point was made up of 23 double houses intended for 46 families.  Along the entrance to the plantation is a cemetery once used for slaves.

At one time it was a hunting preserve.

Coffin Point Plantation was added in 1975 to the National Register of Historic Places.

 



References
 
1.
Iseley, N. Jane. Plantations of the Low Country : South Carolina 1697-1865 / photography by N. Jane Iseley ; text by William P. Baldwin, Jr. ; researched by Agnes L. Baldwin. Greensboro, N.C. : Legacy Publications, c1985.
2.
SC Highway Historical Marker Guide Published by the SC Department of Archives & History, International Standard Book NO. 1-880067-14-5.
3.
Towne, Laura Matilda, 1825-1901. Letters and Diary of Laura M. Towne : Written from the Sea Islands of South Carolina, 1862-1884. Edited by Rupert Sargent Holland. [S.l. : s.n., c.1912] .
4.
Todd, Caroline W. and Sidney Wait. South Carolina, a Day at a Time. Orangeburg, S.C. : Sandlapper Pub. Co., c1997.
5.
30-15 Plantation File, South Carolina Historical Society
6.
Neuffer, Claude Henry, ed. "Names in South Carolina." Volume I through 30, 1943-1983, Columbia, SC: Published by the Department of English, University of South Carolina. Printed by The State Printing Company, Columbia, SC.
7.
News & Courier Newspaper, February 26, 1933 List of plantation sales as it appeared in the Free South in it's issue of April 4, 1863, St. Helena Island plantations, the number of acres, to whom sold and the price bought prior to war.
8.

Rowland, Lawrence Sanders; Moore, Alexander; Rogers, George C. Jr.  The History of Beaufort County, South Carolina. Columbia  Volume 1, 1514-1861: University of South Carolina Press, c1996.